The oak barrel is the distiller’s silent partner. Over time it singularly influences the spirit’s flavor. The quality of the barrel’s wood and crafting impacts the distiller’s ability to nuance the flavor to fit their vision.
Spirit by Canton Barrels provide distillers with impeccable quality and innovative oak, char and toast options. Each and every barrel stave is carefully evaluated and selected for straightness and grain and then open air-seasoned to maturity. Our investment in technology enhances the precision of the cooper’s skill at transforming the wood into a barrel worthy of your spirit.
Wood Quality and Seasoning
We only purchase wood from the best American white oak sources and mills. Each stave is carefully hand sorted and inspected. This ensures our wood is of the highest quality, free from defects or sap wood.
The staves are stacked according to a specific technique in our Kentucky wood yard to ensure even exposure to air and moisture, for optimum
open air seasoning.
Spirit by Canton Barrels are made from 12 (Spirit), 24 (Spirit Premium) or 36 month (Spirit Grand), open air-seasoned oak. The longer the wood is exposed naturally to the rain, snow, wind and sun, the smoother the contribution of flavors is to the spirits aging in the barrel.
Superior Barrel Aesthetics and Laser Branding
A benefit of Spirit by Canton Barrels is their appearance and how they can complement your distillery, rickhouse or tasting facility environment. Each barrel is carefully sanded by our expert coopers, with the Spirit Premium and Spirit Grand receiving a second sanding for the ultimate quality finish. Rust-free galvanized hoops complete the top-quality appearance.
We offer complimentary laser branding of your logo on Spirit Premium and Spirit Grand barrels.
Customizable Flavor with Char and Toast
Barrels are pre-toasted over a white oak fire to prepare staves for the selected char. Our programmable char process ensures consistent burn depths throughout the barrel.
- Spirit Original – Standard char of 3-4 (“Alligator”) for a rich, traditional impact; charred heads.
- Spirit Premium – 4 customizable char levels to obtain the desired flavor impact; customizable head toast or char.
- Spirit Grand – 4 customizable char levels to obtain the desired flavor impact; customizable head toast or char.
For Premium and Grand, we also offer a range of toasting options (Medium Plus to Heavy toast) for a more subtle flavor impact.
- HACCP food safety – third-party certiﬁed since 2006.
- Computerized traceability. Unique identification number per barrel.
- Haloanisole and Halophenol panel tested multiple times during production process.
- Barrel integrity – can be stored empty for several months before filling.
- Sanded and hand finished, for reduced splinter risk.
- Galvanized steel hoops.
- Barrels are sealed with a plastic cup and shipped with a bung (wood or silicone, upon specification).
- Reinforced packaging available upon request.
- One year warranty.
|200 L /
||200 L /
* Finished stave thickness